Thursday 21 July 2016

Fix for Xmanager error "/usr/X11R6/bin or /usr/bin/term not found"

X 11 needs to be available for softwares like Oracle database/client & many other products to be installed.

Essentially the basic components that should be in place are the following:
  • x11 forwarding should be enabled in /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.
  • The packages libXmu & xorg-utils should be installed.

Recently I built some Linux VMs that required X11 to be enabled for GUI based installations.
So I did the work, met the pre-requisites for X11 & tested out the X11 functionality on a X11 tool & handed them over.
I was surprised when the application guy came up to me & said that it wasn't working with Xmanager.

I did some digging & it wasn't working. I got the below error when I ran xstart:


The fix for this error were two things:
  • Install the rpm xterm.
  • Create a soft link for /usr/bin/xterm to /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Using capture groups in grep in Linux

Introduction Let me start by saying that this article isn't about capture groups in grep per se. What we are going to do here with gr...